Deemed as the proven technique of online marketing, SEO has been helping businesses achieve their goals the most effective and measurable way. The basics of how SEO works has been continuously evolving and changing every couple of years or so, and therefore calls for an updated understanding of this domain from time to time in order to be able to implement the right practices with regard to SEO initiatives.
In the latest differentiation between SEO techniques, there are two aspects namely on-page SEO and off-page SEO. On-page SEO is the real quality part and a lot of experts suggest that it is the future of SEO.
What is the difference?
In the first place, know that on-page SEO and off-page SEO are like two sides of the coin and are organically different in nature. They refer to working from the two opposite poles to reach the goal. To understand them clearly, one must peep into the working of search engine algorithms. Search engines rank the sites after evaluating them in comparison to other sites on the World Wide Web. The on-page factors correspond to what your site is all about and off-page aspects pertain to how popular or authoritative your website is. In other words, we can say that the former determines what for your site is ranked and the latter decides how high your website ranks. Going to the details of both, on-site SEO focuses on working on the various characteristics of the website while off-site SEO emphasizes on working with the external partners and links.
On-page SEO tasks
As a site owner, you have complete control over all the aspects covered under on-page SEO initiatives.
- Incorporate targeted keywords into the title tag on each page. Research on the proven practices to create effective title tags.
- Since headings appear largest on the page, search engines usually focus more on them. It is important to squeeze in the targeted keywords into the headings in each page, however ensuring the accuracy of its relevance to the content.
- As far as possible, try to incorporate keywords into URLs. Since this is a professional task, accomplish this with the help of experts without much altering your old keywords.
- It is vital to add alt text to the images displayed on your site. Though not visible to the general viewer, it is read by the screen reader software to assist the visitors decipher what is contained in your images. Since search engines also crawl over images in the same fashion, attempts to describe the image and inserting the appropriate keywords shall help in ranking.
- Most popular search engines take into account the loading speed of your site in order to improve the user experience. Therefore by making your page load faster, you can help it rank higher.
- Make a self audit on how relevant your content is to the user. By ensuring that the content is easily readable content that is of value to the visitors, you can satisfy the search engines.
- Create internal links to the other pages in your site which shall be useful to the visitors as well as to the search engines.
- Incorporate social media buttons within the site, which will help in social sharing.
- Also, provide rich media in the content because it helps in popularizing the content, which helps in overall optimization.
For a detailed video, check this:
Advantages of on-page SEO
- On-page SEO can help your site appeal to targeted customers and also the SE robots. Proven practices in SEO can help the search engines index your web pages with ease and understand your site very well. Once they find navigating through the site and content easy, they are motivated to give a higher ranking to your site.
- By perfecting your on-page SEO, you are assured of the best local results. Some useful practices in this line include optimizing the location in the title of the landing page, including a Google Map in the site, incorporating the essential rich snippets, GEO location site map, etc.
- Unlike the very expensive link building task, working on the structure of our page (on-page SEO) is an economical way to promote marketing.
- The results obtained through on-page SEO are rather irreversible and permanent, whereas, the links that we build outside could be de-indexed at some point besides demanding a considerable effort and spending.
- We can have a full control over the on-page SEO tasks and work on the various segments of its easily as against off-page SEO tasks that need communication with external associates like bloggers.
- Since search engines like Google attach greater importance to user experience, working on the internal aspects of websites could be highly rewarding with regard to ranking resulting in lower bounce rate and more average time per session meaning enhanced rankings and better conversion rates.
- When we optimize the meta title and meta description as part of on-page SEO mission, we end up increasing the click through rate of the organic results. Therefore there is more likelihood that the page will secure a higher ranking besides increasing the likelihood of being clicked by the visitors.
- When the images and videos are optimized during on-page SEO, it can result in attracting visitors from other sources like Google Images, Google Videos and YouTube.
- By including long tail keywords in the website content as well as links, the rankings can be improved surely and significantly.
- We also get to work on the site speed which is a positive factor for enhancing the user experience besides ranking high.
Working on all the categories discussed so far as part of on-page SEO, we get to succeed in our SEO mission besides achieving the cherished SEO objectives the easy and proven way.
How to know if on-page SEO is done or not
If you hired a professional SEO expert, you would like to know whether he/she has done what was promised. For this, do ask for weekly, bi-weekly and monthly reports (often bi-weekly reports are the best). Ask them to enlist all the activities that are done. Also if there is any visible change in the ranking or optimization of the website due to those activities. This will help you monitor whether the efforts, time and money you are spending to achieve the targets are worthwhile or not.